Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Conk Peas

I bought a bushel of conk peas today and, when I made note of such on Facebook, I had some friends who had never heard of them. So, here you are. These are conk peas. They look like black eyed peas or crowder peas when they are still in the shell.
But when you shell them, you see a very delicate, light green pea that has a wonderful buttery taste when cooked. Of course, I cook the peas with a ham hock from the Honey Baked Ham store so what's not to like?
Last year we had the pleasure of picking peas in a field near our house. We are on the look-out again this year because we love pickin' and we love shellin'. I do revert to my southern upbringing, don't I?

2 comments:

Alicia (those who love me, call me Leesha) said...

"Hey Grandpa...what's for supper?!" Goodness, this almost makes my mouth water!

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

you ARE a true southern girl, through and through :-)