Sunday, November 16, 2008

Defy Convention


Once I make a decision as to what type of fabric or leather to use as a handle, my first textile collage will be complete. This piece has evolved over the past three weeks as I have considered what combination of textiles to use as an interpretation of my title, "Defy Convention".

Pictured here is one of my aunts, now deceased, who did not allow the conventions of her time to limit her in any way.

She was equally at home killing rattlesnakes
in the deep Florida woods as she was baking her wonderful pound cakes and Toll House cookies. She could grow anything with very little effort yet could give any of her seven brothers a good pounding when necessary. She was tough as nails while being the gentle family caregiver in times of illness.

This collage is fourth in my series, "Women On The Road".

6 comments:

Minx's Den said...

That is a wonderful collage! I think you should open your own etsy shop like I did! You'd be great at it! Just thought I'd say hi...have a good week!

-Minxden

A bird in the hand said...

Well done! Your aunt was very beautiful!

Minx's Den said...

MY BAD!!!
you do have an etsy site, I just now saw it, it's quite cute...here i am, telling you to get an etsy site when you already have one...I'm silly!!

Minxden

kansasrose said...

Your aunt sounds like my aunt jean living on a farm in western Kansas. She killed many rattlers, and would get in the pig pen and take on mean boars and sows to save baby piglets in her hipwader boots. I watched her heroism daily as a kid. She is beautiful like your aunt, an iron woman.

kansasrose said...

I love these art pieces you are creating to celebrate women's strength, stories and beauty! They speak to my heart. Best wishes on your art journey! :)

Minx's Den said...

Hey Shirley!

Happy thanksgiving to you too!!!be careful out there on the waters! I'm glad you like my birdie ornaments!

Love and hugs,
Minx