Friday, February 13, 2009

The Real Truth

Today, I'm taking a break from artistic pursuits and concentrating on the real stuff of life. I work for the local school district here in my Florida county. Today, all first and second year teachers received letters of non-renomination signifying that they do not have jobs next year. Not only does this mean that we will have countless numbers of unemployed, experienced teachers out of work but also that we will lose some wonderfully inspired individuals who have the capacity to change the lives of children. It is the economy driving this decision. The school district just isn't earning the dollars it used to earn because people are not moving to our state and our student population is declining. In an environment where each state dollar is based on student enrollment, our earnings are decreasing daily. I am losing 25% of the teachers who teach in the program that I supervise. They have received countless hours of training and support and were on their way to becoming Master Teachers. Now, 500 teachers do not have jobs. One teacher is a young woman with a two year old. Her husband is serving in Iraq. Another has breast cancer and has just completed chemo. Now she has no insurance.

I am greatly saddened by these events and felt the need to document this sadness in my blog. Somehow creating art doesn't seem so important today.

5 comments:

kansasrose said...

Yes this is a tragedy. A good, dedicated teacher can make such a difference in a student's life and learning. A teacher that cares and sees the potential in a student can impact a person's entire life. Our state's education budget is in dire trouble too. Perhaps the new stimulus package when passed will help this nationwide implosion of public education funding. I wish the government would give more funds to schools and teachers and less to big banks and ceo's. It's only our future! This must be so difficult for you. It's a crime to lose all these wonderful, bright teachers! My prayers are with you and those that have lost their teaching jobs.

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

i am sorry you are having such a sad time. for me though, art making is extremely important during these times. it helps to get out the things are are bothering us within.

Minx's Den said...

I'm so sorry shirl....

It is very sad that people, good people with families and illnesses are losing their jobs...I know of a few people myself that have lost jobs, and they really have to start over from scratch...it's a tough world out there right now...but it can only go up from here...hope things get better in your school district. I'm thinking and praying for you, my friend...

love, Lauren

connie said...

Oh my. It is such a sad state. There are so many wonderful people that are having such a rough time. Life can be so difficult. It is really a shame that one of the first things states think of cutting is education. mmmmm what are they thinking, I guess they are not. Hang in there.

chris a said...

I just stopped by to say hi from the year of color blog and I also live in Florida. My son is a teacher here and I totally understand what you are saying about art and other concerns. Art provides an outlet for us but it doesn't put food on the table or pay for health insurance. I have no idea where the brains of Florida legislators are but obviously not in their heads. When I read that the Marlins are still trying to get the state to help them build a new stadium and the next article talks about cutting back on education, I get so angry that sometimes I just have to stop reading. I just want you to know that there are lots of us out here who cannot understand what our reps are doing in Tallahassee - it is as though they are in their own little world, not our real world. good luck and somehow we will make it through.