Sunday, October 3, 2010

Art on the Water

I am a fly fisherman. I consider it one of my art forms. I love to catch fish but the catching of fish is secondary to my love of casting on serene or moving waters in the mountains. When I am there, I don't worry about alligators or other Florida reptiles. I just enjoy the beauty of the spot, the birds that visit while I fish, and the rhythm of my casting, back and forth, back and forth. I believe that after so many years of practice, I have developed some satisfaction with my casting. My roll cast and side cast pleased me this trip, a rare thing. For me, fly fishing is like dancing; like a ballet on the water. I can stay planted in the same spot for hours because the water changes, even if my location doesn't. As the water laps against my legs and boots, I drop my fly gently on the water and wait for a fish to take it. The fish I caught were small but that's ok. I released them back into the river so they could grow a little larger for someone else to catch someday.
As I come out of the river, my wet boots gather some of the fallen leaves on the bank. I call this The Remains of the Day. I just love to fish.

3 comments:

amelia said...

The picture you paint with words is quite beautiful!!

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

yes...to create art takes patience and seeing the beauty around you. i agree that this is 'art on the water'

elizabethrosasjewelry said...

I never thought much of fishing until I read your post, now I'm thinking that I might be missing something. Maybe someday you will show me the ropes?