Saturday, January 29, 2011

Fort DeSoto Park Style Fun

Just returned from a four day camping trip to Ft. DeSoto Park in South St. Petersburg. It was great fun in spite of the severe weather that blew up suddenly. We had a great campsite right on the water and were nestled between two stands of palm trees which gave a lot of protection. We did not have the courage, though, to stay in the trailer with tornado warnings so ended up spending the night at the home of some good friends. The weather was cold and it was very windy but during the day, when the sun was out, we took full advantage of all the park has to offer.
We walked on the dog beach with Cocoa and I found my first piece of what I like to call, Mermaid Glass. It is actually sea glass but I like to thing that it is from the mirror of a mermaid. We walked on the pier and watched a Great Blue Heron sit peacefully on the roof of a nearby building waiting for his dinner to appear. We took a walk on the newly-built nature trail and nearly wore Cocoa out. Next time, we want to take the bicycles along because there are many beautiful paths to explore. This park is nature at its best. It is beautifully cared for and very, very popular. I attempted to book another reservation for the end of March but they are completely filled up until May.

2 comments:

amelia said...

This sounds beautiful, just the kind of thing I would love to do!! Especially being cool like that (it's -36 here today). I'm sure Cocoa loved it too and I've heard it said that a tired dog is a happy dog!!

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

looks like paradise to me