Monday, June 6, 2011

A Smattering of Rain And Other Trivia

Pathetic though it was, we got a small smattering of rain today. We haven't had rain in over a month and the grass crackles when you walk on it. There was a smokey haze all through the area today and it smelled like smoke from a fire. It was too miserable to remain outdoors for any length of time and I was grateful for air conditioning each time I went out for the shortest little time.

I go out each day to tend the plants which are withering in the heat unless I set the drippers on them. And I turn on a very small sprinkler for the birds who delight in flying through the water and drinking from the saucers out in the garden.

I spent last week trapping a feral cat and kittens that were living in the wheel-well of my truck. This week, I am trying to keep the yard from burning up from the dryness. In the interim, I am highly involved in couponing--an activity that I honed while the mother of three young children. Today, I shaved fifteen dollars off the grocery bill and seven dollars off the bill at Walgreen's. Such small pleasures. I am turning into my father. He was the king of sales, two for one offers, and the Publix Promise (where if you are charged the wrong price, the item is free).

Tomorrow, I test two home-schooled children. I have been testing these children since they were in kindergarten and they are now going into the seventh grade. I only see them once a year but it always surprises me to see how much they've grown and how smart they are.

And Friday, my grandchildren arrive for a visit. I bought Cuban bread, filled the sand and water table, washed the porch so I can sit out there without being covered in cakes of dust (no rain, remember) while playing with the six year old. In three more weeks, I will have been retired for one year. Where has the time gone? I've decided that I like retirement. I have to work hard at not frittering away my time. But what if I do? Frittering is not such a bad thing. And I can stay in my pajamas and drink coffee as long as I want in the morning.

And I have a new art project in process. I bought some small tiles today for a mosaic I am working on. And I made some new tags. And I'm getting ready for a big cross-country trip that involves fly fishing. What could be better than that?


2 comments:

amelia said...

Oh the joys of frittering!! Almost daily I chastise myself for wasting time and then I ask myself what I would rather be doing and the answer is frittering!! There is nothing terribly pressing or important and if there is I do it then get back to frittering!

There are times when grandchildren visit and kids and then life is busy but in between there is frittering.

Enjoy it while you can Shirley. Life is short...

Connie said...

I wanted to respond earlier, but I didn't get to it. I was probably frittering then too! Finding a balance between keeping active and purposeful and just enjoying the moment seems to be my biggest challenge. Sometimes I have to give myself permission to fritter.
But it's all fun!