Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Windows Are Sweating


It certainly is not a monumental news flash and it's not like it doesn't happen every summer, but the windows seem to be sweating much earlier this year. It has been hot here for two months and winter just slid into summer with barely any spring to speak of. Yes, my windows have condensation on them because I keep the inside pretty cold. However, with two menopausal women living in this house, it would be foolish to do otherwise!

As bears hibernate in the winter, I hibernate in the summer. Even though I love to work in the garden, I must reserve that luxury for early evening when the temperatures are cooler. It hasn't always been this way. When I was much younger, my favorite place was on the beach, in the sun. I could lay out there all day taking only brief respites into the water to cool off. I could never do that now. Do you think that as we age, our internal thermometers get faulty? That's what I think. Along with every other body part that begins to need replacing, internal thermometers must be the first to go.

And so, I enjoy my garden from the inside. It was fortuitous indeed that we built this house with large windows and glass doors from which to see the outdoors. I can see the tons of birds that inhabit the backyard and, yes, I set the sprinkler during the heat of the day so that they will have some relief also. I can sit in the living room and see the birds in the fountain outside the front door and enjoy the cardinals as they use the entry garden for a fly-way.

And so, all is not lost. It is just a different way to enjoy nature. And in the late afternoon, with a glass of wine in hand, I will sit on the screened porch and not really care if it is hot.


1 comment:

amelia said...

I also hibernate in the summer. I loathe the hot weather and it gets really humid here as well. Winters are the best!!