Sunday, August 5, 2012

Freedom Rider

Those of you who are my Facebook friends have already seen this beauty but for everyone else, I just need to post a picture of this Princess again. This is my new truck. I have been considering this purchase for over a year and, after much thought and calculating, I decided to go for it. My eleven year old truck was fine for the chores on the farm but this baby was necessary because it will be pulling a new fifth wheel RV behind it. We have been traveling with a very tiny travel trailer which proved way too small for two humans and one dog to inhabit. I never realized how a small space would constrict and restrict my thinking processes but found out last fall on our two month trip. Some days, I would forget to brush my teeth and comb my hair because I was too busy just being on survival mode in the cramped space. 

Small travel trailers are ok for those folks who are accustomed to tent camping or camping in a pop-up trailer. But I guess I am spoiled or maybe my old body just needs more room to unfold and move about. And I need a comfortable chair to sit in at the end of a long travel day. And a decent little kitchen because I cook when we're on the road. 

We haven't picked up our fifth wheel yet because it had to be ordered. We didn't want a fireplace (yes, they come with fireplaces but we felt that was excessive) so ours has to be made with storage instead.  However, this purchase is about much more than just camping in style. I decided that I need to really "seize the day" and quite postponing living in the moment. I have spent a lot of time living in fear of my financial future and sacrificing the present as a result. I believe that I am a good steward of my resources. I also want to be a good steward of my time. Because time is the only thing you cannot buy. And I don't want the hourglass of my life to run out while the health of my bank account laughs mockingly by.

1 comment:

Connie said...

Great truck! We have looked at RV's too. But we don't have the truck yet. All in good time.

The whole balance of retirement though is playing with the money and time we have without bankrupting our health or our wealth, isn't it. Good luck. And have fun. You've earned it!