Monday, January 26, 2009

Act II

At sixty-five years of age, I am seriously considering how I want to configure the rest of my life. I come from a line of long-lived individuals and both my parents lived into their ninety-sixth year. Considering that I will probably live another twenty to thirty years, I would like to craft my life into one of independence that extends well beyond the norm. In other words, I want to be on my own for as long as possible.

Having moved my parents against their will in order to better care for them, I do not want that for myself. I would like to be an active participant in the process of shedding possessions and distilling my life into meaningful minutes, hours, and days. I do not want to live out my life in an isolated environment where I am dependent upon others for something as simple as going to the post office to mail a letter or going to the grocery for a loaf of bread.

I currently live in the country in a wonderful home that was built to mirror a farm house/beach house. It is small, yet efficient, with skylights and glass doors that let in lots of light. I have a garden and bird feeders and wildlife. This should be fine for the next five to ten years. After that, however, I think I need to be in a city where I can live near stores and shopping, have access to efficient public transportation, and be able to walk almost everywhere. I do not want to own a car when I am old; I want to walk to find what I need.

I am blogging about this because I would like ideas about places to live that will provide me with what I need. I don't need a big place or an expensive place. but I need a space for two people with at least a small bit of the outdoors so I can have a few plants, one or two bird feeders, a little space for a dog. some good light, and walking access to almost everything.

The picture I have in my head is a place like San Miguel de Allende in Mexico where you can walk out the front door and walk into town. Or you can hail a $2 taxi that will take you anywhere. If the ride is particularly long, the ride costs $3. You can walk or ride to the Centro (Center of town) where you can buy a newspaper and sit in the park to read it. You can shop for fresh vegetables at the public market or buy a coffee at a local stand. You can stay at home and watch the birds or go to the Biblioteca Publica (public library) to check out a book or watch a movie, play, or musical performance. Why don't I just move to San Miguel? Well, my health insurance is no good in Mexico and they don't take MediCare. That scares me right now. Although I am currently healthy, I don't know that I always will be. Maybe I should take a chance, live on the edge, take a risk. I could always go into Texas for health care, I suppose. That's what other ex-Patriots do.

I would appreciate it if you would tell me where you live; what you like about your city and what you don't. I feel as if I am involving myself in a great research project and I can't wait to get started. Let the games begin!!

6 comments:

amelia said...

It's funny you should blog about this because I've been thinking about the same thing.
I'm sixty one and we live in the Northern Ontario bush. There is nowhere to walk and you can't live here without a car. It takes an ambulance 45 minutes to reach us, I just hope that nothing serious ever happens.
I want to live here as long as I can and we have five large dogs and 4 acres fenced in for them. I don't know anywhere else we could get this. I also feed all the birds and little creatures that I can and I want to be able to continue.
Neither of us want to move or to live near a town or city! This hasn't helped your project at all but when you find that special place, please let me know!!

Minx's Den said...

Hey there Shirl!

I am glad you are back, it's been a while and I have missed ya! well, I have lived in Kansas my whole life, but in Manhattan, I have lived there 8 years this coming fall. I do love it here, my hubby and I live in an apartment, but we would like to move to a bigger place with a backyard. Manhattan is a college town with so much culture, great food, great shopping, great hospitality. The only thing I don't like about Manhattan is that this city has about 80,000 people and it's meant for 40,000. the traffic is unbelievable! But it has been home for nearly a decade. Hope you are having a wonderful week!

Love,
Lauren

A bird in the hand said...

I agree with all your thoughts on how you want to live when you are old. I've always lived in the city (no matter which one), always within easy reach of public transportation (I've never owned a car) and in a neighborhood that has all the shops necessary. The bonus is greenery and wildlife a stone's throw away.
When I am old, I would want the same conditions, maybe in a warmer climate ;)

kansasrose said...

I've been thinking about this same thing too...I'll be 53 and it's already on my mind. I can see my body is changing and energy levels aren't what they used to be. Living on a small farm all these years has been fine...but in my 60's and beyond it scares the h**l out of me. I need warmth, people, activity, culture!!! I'm thinking Texas. I love Texas. Austin. San Antonio. Austin is unbelievably diverse and rich with music, art, gardens, theatre, so much! The winters are mild. And there is a wealth of senior activities, a florishing, vibrant Hispanic community. Have you been there? I think you'd love it! U. of Texas is there too. Great art community. I keep telling my husband I will move to Texas when I grow up. He doesn't listen to me. :( Maybe we can share a place someday! We could have a big organic garden, and I make a mean loaf of organic wheat bread.

Stars Fault said...

Dropped by from your link on Year of Color blog to say howdy. I loved the content of your post. I am 52, and have been talking about this same subject to my husband for several years.

I dream of a tiny home, less than 1000 sq.ft., all universal design (handicap accessible). Ideally it would have its own bit of land, but if not, perhaps be close to a park where I can enjoy grass I won't have to mow and flower beds I won't have to weed. The community would be close to good medical, relatively low cost of living, and the climate not too hot or too cold (expensive heating/air conditioning). There would be a small mother-in-law efficiency/studio apartment attached to this home, so I could use it as a rental for a bit of income, and also potentially use it as a place for a caregiver as I became older, or sicker. Public transportation and services like groceries within walking distance would be important. I don't want to own a car either.

I would be in this home by the time I am 60 - why? Because I want time to create deep memories so that, even if I have Altzheimers or dementia, I would be most likely able to continue functioning and caring for myself because I have long established routines. Studies show that elderly are able to remain independent if they are in such an environment.

I live in Alaska. I don't want to spend my last days here, despite how incredibly beautiful it is here. It's too icy, and I fear falling and breaking a hip, and I have RA, so the 4 months of winter cold are a bit much.

If I were wishing for a location, it would be Washington or Oregon, with a favorite one of the many bedroom communities just outside of Seattle.

Great plan huh? If only my darn hubby would agree.

Blessings ~ Eileen @ Star's Fault

GlorV1 said...

I like this post you made at the beginning of the year. You speak of San Miguel De Allende and I visit a blog called billiesblog who lives there. Her and her husband are from Texas and they have been there for about 5 years. You want to know about San Miguel, her blog is the one to visit. She is a photographer, a great photographer and she has all the info you would want to know about . I like that you know what and when you want to do these things. My grandparents and my dad lived to their middle 90's. My grandfather on my mother's side live to 105 and he was still gardening when he passed away. He did tend to pull out plants instead of put in plants though.:) I hope you find what you want. I am 67 and I still can't find myself.:) billiemercer.blogspot.com is her blog. Give her a visit. Take care and have a great weekend. Thx for following my blog and I have added your blog as well. Take care.