Saturday, July 11, 2009

Something To Ponder

Yesterday, while looking for something to read, I selected Winter Walk from our extensive library collection. Winter Walk is the true story of an Alaskan Athabascan woman, her children, and her journey of survival during the winter of 1892. While Janet is a reader of historical non-fiction, I tend to select books of other genre. However, once I read the following quote from the prologue, I knew I would be compelled to read the entire book.

"Imagine if the survival of others as well as ourselves depended on our skills, knowledge, inner strength, and respect."

I wonder if I would have had the courage and fortitude to make the very hard decisions this woman was required to make throughout the course of this story. I wonder if I would have been able to make the sacrifices necessary to protect my children. I suppose these are questions every mother would ask in light of a story such as this one. I recommend this book highly. It raises many questions about life, hardship, commitment, family, and what is really important when all is said and done. And you can read it in one afternoon.

Alaska today.....still very desolate and unforgiving in it's uninhabited territories, even in the spring of the year (pictured here).

1 comment:

GlorV1 said...

Hi Shirley. It really sounds like a great read. Yes we sometimes wonder if we could have done everything that the women of yesteryear did to keep us going. I don't know, but I think if it means staying alive, I think we'd find some way.