Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Time Traveling

Today, I traveled back in time, not in a special machine from Back To The Future, and not in the transporter from Star Trek. I merely drove a few miles down the road to Silver Springs Park Attraction here in Ocala. As you can see by the photograph of the entrance to the park, this is not Disneyworld. Silver Springs is a nature park that has been in Ocala since before I was a little girl. Sixty years ago, my family and I would make the very long drive from Tampa to Ocala and visit Silver Springs. My family at the time consisted of myself, my mother, and my father; however, we never went anywhere this exciting without the nudging and accompaniment of my Aunt Margie, Uncle Lynwood, and cousins Paul and Judy.
The special and most amazing thing about Silver Springs back in the forties was that one could ride in a glass-bottom boat and witness all that was below the water line if the sun shone on the water just right. When I was young, it seemed like magic because there was nowhere else that could give us that kind of entry into the unknown underwater world of the Silver River, or any other river for that matter.
Today, when I stepped into that glass-bottomed boat after sixty years, the thrill was much the same. The boats are not as shiny as they were back then; the wooden interior is not as polished and new. However, the glass in the bottom of the boat was the same and the thrill of seeing fifty or more feet to the bottom of the river was as exciting as ever.
I think the biggest thrill I had today was in listening to the excitement of the children who were on board with their families. There was no expectation for anything mechanical or glittery. There was no expectation of a thrill ride or characters dressed in costumes. There was simply nature; tossing fish food out of the window, spotting an alligator on the shore or noticing a turtle on the river bank.
It was discovery at its best. And it was wonderful to see that not very much has changed on the Silver River since I was a girl. Kids are still kids; the water is still pure; the gators still love the sun; and mullet still jump straight up in the air no matter what time of day it is.

4 comments:

amelia said...

Oh how totally wonderful!!! I have never been in a glass bottom boat in my life and it's something I've always wanted to do. How magical it would be to see to the bottom of a world we cab never inhabit!

One day...

GlorV1 said...

Shirley, that is totally awesome. Beautiful photos. It does look magical and I love your new header. Happy New Years, stay safe.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

You sure brought back some memories for me! My family went there in the 60s and it was one of my favorite places in the world. Is is still as non-commercial?? That would be so wonderful to see again.

I loved that the Tarzan movies were filmed there and always watched in the trees for Cheetah.

Shirley Gonzalez-Day said...

Karla: Yes, Silver Springs is as non-commercial as ever with just a sampling of small places to eat and shop. There is a special exhibit where you can see clips from the Tarzan movies filmed there. We viewed them yesterday and had a lot of fun going down memory lane. I'm still trying to perfect Tarzan's call.