Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Waiting Patiently For Creativity To Strike

Sometimes, I have so many creative ideas running through my head that I cannot sleep. Lately, though, I have been going through a very dry spell. I have had the luxury during the past several days to spend as much time as I need on my art. But, as luck would have it, or whatever else one would call it, I have no ideas.

I have begun reading,
Living The Creative Life by Rice Freeman-Zachery, a gift from Janet at Christmas. I am trying to begin the transition from left-brain daily thought to the right-brain world of art. It will not be easy for me. Not only have I spent the past thirty five years in concrete sequential thought, fighting the abstract random person inside, but I have also attempted to tame the distractible, playful child that has lived inside of me for sixty six years. So now, I must coax her out to play, to paint, to glue, to make messes, and to not care.
I know I have begun this process through my collages and drawings. But I want to know what I'm doing and right now, I don't know what I'm doing. Does that matter? I have signed up for a creativity class called Mondo Beyondo that begins online in January. I have also registered for a class that will teach me how to solder so that I can begin making assemblage pieces. I think I will summon a muse for myself; maybe invent an imaginary alter ego.

3 comments:

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

i believe that 'not knowing' is exactly right. but it certainly is an uncomfortable place to sit in.
i also know that creativity comes when we make space for it. although it does like to elude me at times...maybe to remind me what my life would be like without it :-)

amelia said...

I am not artistic as you are but I knit. I'm always knitting and right now I cannot force myself to pick it up!!! I have a couple of things on the go but no interest. I hope it passes!

elizabethrosasjewelry said...

I like that "imaginary alter ego"...I'm gonna get one too.