Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Very Quiet Morning

It is a very quiet morning here on the farm. Well, not really a farm....the country. I like to pretend it's a farm because when I was little, I lived on a farm and have wonderful memories of it. Well, not wonderful, but interesting. Like sitting on the fence watching the cows getting branded. And collecting cow horns and digging out the marrow and polishing them up to add to my collection. Stuff like that!! And playing in the dog pen until the fleas all gravitated to me instead of the dogs. And sitting to milk a cow while the cow next to it pooped on my back. Yeah, stuff like that.

Anyway, it is a very quiet and peaceful day today. Cocoa is asleep on the chair, the sun is shining brightly, and there are a few birds darting back and forth through the trees. Through my window, I just spotted a Swallow Tail Kite flying high across the yard. She must have a nest near by because I have seen her a lot this spring....or is it summer? Sure feels like summer.

The quiet of this weekend is but a preface to the next because next weekend, the daughters and the grandchildren will be here. I have dusted off the porch chairs and planned a Cuban lunch; we have assigned the beds and bedrooms because we always forget who goes where; I have charged up the Dremel because Paxton, the accompanying canine, gets his toenails done when he is here or when I am there. I have learned that the daughters and grandchildren really don't care about fancy preparations and for that, I am grateful. They just want to visit and laugh and tell stories. And maybe eat some Cuban bread.

So today, I will mostly rest....as much as possible for someone with Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity. Excuse me now. I think the bird feeders need filling.

3 comments:

amelia said...

You really made me laugh with the cow pooping on your back!! I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time but it sure is now!

I hope you have a wonderful time with your family next weekend.

GlorV1 said...

Hi amiga. Sounds like it is going to be a fun time with the daughter's and g/children visiting. I enjoyed reading your story about living on the farm and the things that you did and the quietness. Then you went on to tell us about your family coming down and the tradition kicks in and who wouldn't want Cuban bread. I really enjoyed reading this homey type post. Thanks for sharing and have a great time next week. Take pix. Enjoy your week.

Connie said...

I love hearing the stories of your childhood, because although it was very different from mine, in many ways, the 'memories of childhood' are very universal and evoke all sorts of feelings. Keep them coming. They are wonderful.