Saturday, February 5, 2011

Fascinating Reading

I am reading a fascinating book by Barbara Kingsolver who usually writes great fiction. She and her family spent one year on their farm in Virginia growing their own food, buying locally, and living on what they were able to produce. I tell you, once you read this, you will look at food differently. For example, I have learned that large corporations such as Monsanto create genetically modified seeds so that the seeds will not be able to reproduce thereby forcing farmers to buy more seeds year after year. Monsanto also speaks out against heirloom seeds because, of course, you can re-use seeds from these plants year after year.

In addition, beef that is fattened in grassy pastures is much healthier for us than beef that is grain fattened in a feed lot. Also, chickens that are raised in uncrowded pens lay much healthier eggs than hens that are raised in a space too small to turn around. I knew some of this but I didn't really KNOW it. I know that I am shopping differently. I am buying local produce and meat that is organically raised. I wish I could eat all of my vegetables from my own garden but my crops have not done well lately. I probably need to be sure my seeds are not from Monsanto although almost all seeds are these days.

I urge you to read this book. It will change the way you think about food and eating.

2 comments:

Minx's Den said...

lately I have been watching my sodium intake...already just by doing that I feel so much better! that looks like a great read!

Gallery Tee said...

Hi Shirley, I am going to get this book it sounds like the life style changes we are making.