Monday, July 4, 2011

Dinner

I spent the evening last night with Gary and Kathy, my two first friends and employers nine years ago when I moved to Ocala. Gary and Kathy are food purists and dinner at their home is always an event. Gary is an avid fisherman and he and Kathy had caught many pounds of fresh Florida red snapper that was begging to be eaten. In addition, their friend Nels, a cattle rancher who lives here in Ocala, brought over his special recipe of chorizo sausage mix made with his home grown pork.

Kathy put together the most amazing fish chowder I've ever had. I was expecting a tomato-based chowder but, instead, she made a very simple New England milk and cream based soup with fresh snapper, potatoes, tons of spices, fish stock and butter. Oh my, it was simply exquisite.

She then stuffed eggplant with the chorizo sausage and created a baked eggplant delicacy that I could not quit eating. The meal was accompanied by thinly sliced cucumbers in a light sour cream and vinegar dressing and topped off with a glass of fine wine.

One of the things I love about dinner at Gary and Kathy's is that there is always great conversation about new recipes to try, new books to read, and new places to travel. They are both such generous people, were amazingly generous bosses, and continue to be very good friends.

Kathy sent me home with a satiated appetite, several pounds of snapper to put in the freezer, and the promise of another visit soon.

3 comments:

kirst68hk said...

Sounds like an AMAZING night!

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

now THAT sounds like an evening not to be missed!

amelia said...

Almost makes me wish I was not vegetarian!!