Saturday, July 2, 2011

Summer

I used to love summer when I was a little girl. Time off from school; trips to the library; reading books on the couch in our big living room with all the windows and doors open (no AC back then). There was watermelon served on the wooden picnic table in the yard, crab suppers, trips to the ice cream stand, and sleeping as late as I could given the mother that I had.

I have grown to be wary of summer. Summer is hot here in Florida and getting hotter every year. I love the yard and I love the garden. But it is so hot during the summer, that I can barely stand to work outside for fifteen minutes. And it rains weeds here in the summer. I can't keep up with the weeding and so I let it go for much too long. And my body is rebelling. I am sore in so many places that sometimes yard work is really hard for me. I have to use one of the little kneeling stools if I want to be able to walk when I'm through.

So, I don't weed very often. And I don't plant as many plants as I used to. Instead, I sit on the porch beneath the ceiling fan and eat watermelon. And so I look at the garden from a distance. Because almost anything looks better from a distance......and the imperfections are not evident....and I don't feel guilty.....and I can continue eating watermelon and making garden plans for fall.

3 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Sounds like a winner Shirley.Tee hee. I'd rather sit and look at the garden eating watermelon too. I love your post. Happy 4th.

amelia said...

The older I get, the less I can take the heat.
My son, his wife and their three kids are going to Disneyworld tomorrow for 10 days and they would have taken me to help with the kids but I said, 'no thanks!'
I think I'd die. It's 30C and humid here right now I could never stand Florida in the summer!!
I'll take that fan on the porch with you!!!

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

maybe your just getting more Zen. Willing to appreciate the pleasure of the watermelon and being present enough to know the weeds don't matter.
or maybe not...