Thursday, July 28, 2011

Is It My Age?

Yesterday was my birthday and so, I set out on a very small adventure to a near-by town. My goal was to visit the Talbot's store there to see if perhaps I could find a little tailored shell or two to wear on those days when I have a consulting job. I can usually find just what I want at Talbot's but if that fails, I can ALWAYS find what I want at the Chico's next door. Wow, was I mistaken!

I don't know what's happened to the Talbot's line of clothing but I couldn't find anything tailored in the entire store. Well, that's not exactly true. I found a few tailored blouses but I just can't seem to pay $88 for one shirt or top. And then there were the tops and blouses with ruffles. Who in their right mind wears ruffles at my age? I stayed in the store just long enough to realize that I was NOT going to find anything in Talbot's and ventured over to Chico's. Wow, what a shock.

I found sequins and see-through fabric, crazy belts, and very short little skirts. Not for me, thank you. Usually, at least, Chico's has a 50% off sale in July so if I am a bit hesitant about a garment, I can try it for much less money. But no luck for me in that department. New duds were not my karma for the day.

So I decided that I had better take good care of my current clothing and have it all gathered up to take to the dry cleaners today. And on the way home, I will stop at my favorite consignment shop to see it perhaps one or two little Talbot's tops from yesteryear are hanging on the racks waiting for me to purchase them. I know it may be my age; I know I am cheap. But I refuse to pay $88 for a garment the size of a napkin.

2 comments:

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

it not your age, it's your class!
classy is rare these days :-)

Connie said...

I think I am one of the cheapest shoppers around...but I'm not thrifty. There is a difference. I wish I could develop the thrifty gene. As for your sense of style...it may be age, but I'm pretty sure no one wants to see me in my chunky middle aged body in some of the stuff on the racks these days! I think your style fits you perfectly.