Monday, December 19, 2011

Having A Merry Little Christmas



I just read a post from one of my friends in the blog world stating that she and her family were having a "little" Christmas this year. Nothing big and crazy; not a lot of decorations, that kind of thing.

That's what I'm doing and that's actually what I have done for the past few years out here in the country. I shop for the six year old granddaughter, send greenback greetings to the teenagers, and that's about it. Once that box is mailed, I really don't worry about anything else.

I did not put up the Christmas tree this year. Instead, I decorated the piano and tables with ceramic trees from Dept. 56, arranged the stuffed bears and moose (or is that mooses?) around the room, and will complete the scene with fresh cedar and pine that I traditionally cut on Christmas Eve. This year, I splurged on a live wreath for the front gate and last night I cut Nandina berries and arranged them on the porch. The back porch is decorated with a pot of poinsettias and chrysanthemums, a gift from a friend.

I love using natural elements in holiday decorating. I have a yard full of nature which allows me to use what I already have and it is really easy to clean up after the holiday is over. I just gather everything and take it to the compost bin to be used again in my garden beds once it turns into beautiful soil.

My youngest daughter and her friends will come for Christmas dinner and we will have a Cuban dinner to be envied by all. Roast pork, black beans, plantains, Cuban bread and the homemade cookies provided by Janet's superb baking skills. That's as "over the top" as we get but it's pretty awesome. And it's simple. We don't get too tired; we don't overspend; and everybody has a good time, including us. What a concept!

No comments: