Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Laughable Memory

I was looking for a receipt today in my large box of receipts. Each time I do this, I run across this note that my father wrote during his declining years. I get such a chuckle out of it each time I see it that I can never throw it away. This note is part of a grocery list that he would keep tucked under his place mat at the kitchen table. He called it his "office" because he conducted all of his financial business from that location. When I cleaned out the house to move him nearer to me, I found this note and did not have the heart to toss it into the trash.

"2 or 3 pks doughnuts with a hole in the middle"
I love the part about the hole in the middle. That is a very specific type of doughnut, don't you think?

I don't know why he has been on my mind so much lately. I would guess it is because Christmas is approaching and that was his favorite holiday. Maybe it's because I bought the Christmas pork. Perhaps because I roasted the nuts. I don't know. I just know that this note will be among my things when my daughters clean out my house. They probably won't be able to throw it away either.

No comments: