Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Cedar Tree Hotel

This is the cedar tree in my backyard that we call The Cedar Tree Hotel. We have given it this name because all of the birds use it as a hotel during the winter months. This is a very large tree with thick, sturdy branches that can house hundreds of birds. When we stick our heads inside, we can often see the remains of nests from the spring. When I take the dog out on cold, winter days, I sit on the back stoop. That's when I see all the comings and goings of the aviary population in the Cedar Tree Hotel. There's one mockingbird who spends equal amounts of time in the cedar tree and in the honeysuckle. I think he is scouting for a nesting place for spring.

There is a family of cardinals, goldfinches that are too many to number, chickadees, and titmice. I never tire of hearing them first and seeing them later on, as they are a great source of entertainment for me. Our Eastern bluebird families flit back and forth but not into the cedar tree. They stay high in the oaks and pines, flying down only to stake out their birdhouses for future nesting endeavors.

2 comments:

elizabethrosasjewelry said...

Very cool. I don't remember this tree. Where ismit in the yard?

Shirley Gonzalez-Day said...

This tree is to the right, on the back side of the dog pens when you are standing at the back door.