Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Different Kind of Saturday Art

Today, LeeAnn and I continued our holiday tradition of baking cinnamon braids and cooking black beans for our Christmas meal. We have been getting together on a Saturday in December for many years to cook together. Today, I taught her how to embellish canned black beans so that they taste "made from scratch".
LeeAnn surprised me with her skill at throwing dough....a skill she learned in college while working at Domino's Pizza. With her help, our culinary artistic endeavors were accomplished with great ease. We completed a big pot of beans and six large cinnamon braids to give as gifts and freeze for Christmas morning.

And we musn't forget the Cook's Assistant who sat quietly by, offering support and taking an occasional nap. No collages for today. Just beautiful food and the continuation of a wonderful mother/daughter tradition.

3 comments:

Minx's Den said...

mmmm...sounds great, shirl!
I enjoy making German stolan bread with my mother(I have mostly a German heritage)...that puppy dog looks so adorable! Hope you are having a fun weekend!

hugs,
Lauren (minxden)
yes, Lauren is my real name, hehehe!

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

ah, i am jealous! a reminder of how much i miss those xmas braids (yum)
oh, and the 2 of you as well :-)

amelia said...

I just LOVE black beans and make a mean (very easy) black bean soup myself and I can just taste those braids! Anything that tastes or smell yeasty is pure happiness to me!