Sunday, December 14, 2008

Writing As An Art Form


Each year, for the past three years, I have written a portion of my life story as the gift I give my three daughters for Christmas. I often wished that my own mother had written about her daily life experiences and so, decided to do that for my girls. The first two years I wrote with the humor that often comes when remembering the craziness of childhood and the recalcitrant nature of being a teenager. Last year, I moved to a more serious topic and discussed the events leading to the end of my marriage and the years of struggle with my mother's lengthy illness.

This year, I have decided to follow the advice of the author of the book, Thinking About Memoir, by Abigail Thomas. She suggests writing for about ten minutes on one of the topics she mentions in the book. The topics are very simple; or so they seem until one begins to write. The topics have titles such as: What You Wish You Could Still Do; What Was Left Behind: Something That Happened In Water, etc. I am continually amazed at the clarity and insight I have when I just allow myself to write freely. These topics seem so simple and mundane. They offer, however, a window into the everyday events of my life that I would never have thought to write about. Years from now, when the final page of my story has been written, I hope my children will know all about me...my joys, my hopes, my fears, my disappointments, the life lessons I learned, the people I loved, and that life itself is the finest collage one can ever create.

6 comments:

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

this post was beautifully written.
i am so grateful every year to get your life stories. i look forward to knowing things about you that i could never have imagined :-)

Minx's Den said...

that is such a true Christmas gift, Shirl...from the heart, and the gift is wisdom...my mother always gives me as much wisdom as possible, and I know whenever I become a mother someday, I would want to bless my babies with wisdom in my years, just by reading that blog, I can tell you love your daughters very much...have a good week, shirl!

love and hugs,
Lauren :)

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

What a great idea. I don't think my boys would appreciate a gift like that, you are lucky to have daughters that do!

Minx's Den said...

Hey shirl,

A site tracker is a computer program that helps one indicate the people that look at your blog, and you could tell where they are located at...make sense?

Minx's Den said...

a site tracker is more for security purposes...

Minx's Den said...

have a merry christmas shirl! hope you have a great time with your family! Love ya!

Love,
Lauren :)