Sunday, March 28, 2010

It's Warm Out Today

It was a beautifully warm day today and even though it rained for an hour or so, it was wonderful to be outdoors. This morning, before breakfast, I sat on the back steps and just listened to the birds. As I sat there, two hummingbirds buzzed past me on their way to the feeder and at least one hundred gold finches flocked into the garden to begin their daily repast. This is clearly my favorite time of day and I could sit outside for hours sipping my coffee and just watching the avian activity in the backyard. All of the trees, including the plum tree pictured above, are sprouting leaf buds. Even plants that have looked dead for months are coming back to life.

Before the rains came, we mixed up several loads of our special garden mix and prepared the vegetable beds for the spring planting next weekend. As we gazed into the tallest trees surrounding the property, we could see the silhouettes of a flock of cedar wax wings. I expect they had just finished stripping the trees of holly berries, a spring ritual here in these parts.

And so begins the cycle once again. I suppose it is the cycle of life. But I think of it as the cycle of expectation and anticipation as I notice each new bird, each unfurling leaf, each plant coming back to life, and each new flower that I did not notice last year. It keeps my senses sharp, makes me grateful, and excites me about tomorrow.

3 comments:

GlorV1 said...

....and I feel exactly the same Shirley. I couldn't have said it better. I always am in awe of how new growth comes to be. Have fun gardening. We put in my small garden today. I haven't taken pix of it yet but I'll get to it. I love to watch hummingbirds too and we also get goldish/greenish little birds that I think are finches too and they just "hang out" in our yards. Sounds like a great day Shirley. Have a great week.

amelia said...

Sounds like a wonderful morning!

We still have patches of snow in the bush, we have never had such an early thaw as this year. Usually we are still under full snow cover now.Trouble is with the spring come the flies. I often wonder if it would be worth moving into a town just to escape the flies and mosquito's...

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

Beautiful photograph.
I agree with Gloria...very well said.
and a fantastic beginning to the week ahead.