Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Very Important Day

Today is a very, very important day for me. I have decided to retire at the end of this school year and today is the day I sign my retirement papers. This is my second retirement so one would think it is a slam dunk. However, it is always a bit disconcerting to quit working when it has been one of my identities for the past forty years. Ten years ago, when retiring for the first time, I got so nervous at the signing that I had to go home and try again on another day. I laugh now at that recollection. And even though the photograph on this post is one of relaxation and solitude, I really don't plan to be relaxing that much.

I have several projects running around in my head that need to take wing. Yes, we bought a new little travel trailer but I see it as the vehicle that will allow us to give life to our creative endeavors. We have a story project that includes art pieces I want to create; I have a photography project I want to work on; I want to rev up my Etsy store and fill it with more vintage items; I want to become more comfortable with my Canon Rebel; I am planning a new blog with stories of my childhood; I have registered for a soldering class and also a mosaics class; I want to study Spanish, the language of my childhood, so that I am able to carry on a conversation that is more than basic; I want to visit new places; I want to launch myself into the artistic part of my life.

I am sixty six years old; I will be sixty seven in July. I have a lot to do. I work best with a focus and a deadline. I always need to have a goal. I know I will need to structure my days so that I am productive. To be non- productive is not ok; that's the way I was raised. The reason I went back to work after my first retirement is because I did not feel productive. I know now that a schedule is important, even or especially when working at home.

And so today begins the next part of my journey. I will sign my papers today and work until 6pm on June 30. And then the next leg of the trip will start. And I will write about it here. So come along, my friends, and join me on this adventure. I expect that it will be an interesting one as life and art reveal themselves to me.

3 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Oh Shirley, how I look forward to all your stories. Congratulations on retirement!! Hip hip Hooooooray!!!. Enjoy this time of life, it's a good thing. I like the way you are looking at things, "your next journey." Isn't it weird the way we know that there will come a time when we will be old and unable to care for ourselves and it scares us, but for now we try to stuff as much as we can into our lives. I just finished filling out the paperwork on the renewal of my real estate license. I don't practice it anymore but I have it, just in case. You have prepared yourself for things you want to do and go for it and everything else. Just remember that we are here for you to tell us what your next step is. Take care amiga and enjoy the ride.::hugs::

Connie said...

I am happy and excited for you! You have been through this once, so you are able to identify the pitfalls and hopefully avoid them. So much of our identity comes from our work, and that makes it difficult when we walk away from it.
I, too, can't wait to hear your stories. They will be wonderful, especially since in many ways, I expect they will be much different from mine!!

amelia said...

This will be a really big step but it sounds as if you have everything completely under control and won't be bored at all!!
I have loved the first years of my retirement and hope to enjoy many more.