Saturday, April 10, 2010

Dress Rehearsal

This week, while on spring break, I practiced for retirement. I guess you could say I engaged in a dress rehearsal. I use the term "dress" loosely because I spent most of the week in my old yard pants, a scruffy t-shirt, and my blacksmithing shoes. When I did leave the house, my attire was somewhat better although not remarkable. I was busy everyday and certainly don't feel ready to go back to work on Monday. I have planted my vegetable garden and the little seedlings have popped their little heads up in only five days; I have weeded for hours preparing the yard for spring; I helped Janet mow; I took the dog to the vet for her yearly shots; I had my own eyes examined for a new pair of glasses because I can't see a doggone thing; I shopped at the local thrift stores and found some exceptional vintage linens; I caught up on my blogging; I created a fantastic piece of art which I will blog about at a later time; I entertained some friends and one of my children; I talked on Facebook with my teenage granddaughter; I met with my insurance man in preparation for my Medicare supplemental medical policy; I'm sure I did a lot more because I am really tired but can't remember what else I squeezed into this week. I was not bored; I did not feel without purpose; I did not think about work; I think I'm ready for the main event.

6 comments:

amelia said...

I'm with you! I just love retirement!! Apart from some money worries, my life is so easy compared to the way it was when I was working everyday.
My hours were from 8.00am till 6.00pm five or six days a week for forty three years and to not have to get up in the morning is heaven to me although I do find I'm getting up sooner and sooner!!

GlorV1 said...

Hi Shirley. Sorry I haven't been around. A little bit of complications back in San Jose, and just when I thought things were going smoothly. I am happy that you are getting ready for your retirement and I hope you have a lot of fun in your leisure days.

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

I think you definitely sound ready.
WOOHOO!

Connie said...

The whole process of retirement fills me with lots of thoughts, questions, perusings... I will probably do a blog on it at some point. You sound ready to me, and I think knowing you are ready is the most important part of getting ready!

Connie said...

The whole process of retirement fills me with lots of thoughts, questions, perusings... I will probably do a blog on it at some point. You sound ready to me, and I think knowing you are ready is the most important part of getting ready!

Loretta a/k/a Mrs. Pom said...

Your week sounds absolutely lovely! I am SO ready for retirement but it is years and years away at this point! Your garden looks lovely, too!