Sunday, April 4, 2010

Camp Jeannette

Yesterday, I spent the day visiting my friend Jeannette who lives on Lake Santa Fe in Melrose. I visit her about once a year because even though she only lives about an hour away, she rarely has a weekend at home due to the travel involved with her job. When I visit, I bring my art supplies and when I arrive, she takes out her paints and brushes and we have a day together at what I call, "Camp Jeannette". We talk non-stop and problem-solve all day whether the topics relate to our work, our families, our leisure time, or our creative ideas. This problem-solving is very often accompanied by several Mimosas garnished with strawberries and peach schnapps. Sometimes we forget to eat lunch but when we remember, lunch often looks like the spinach, strawberry, and feta salad pictured above that Jeannette "threw" together yesterday.
We sometimes sit at the bar in the kitchen (and if you turn around, this is what you see); or we sit on the porch shown in this photo, swing on the swing, and look out at the lake. Yesterday, we sat at the dining room table, did a lot of sketching, and tried out several new tubes of watercolors.. The hours slip away without my knowing they have gone. Before I realize it, I am back in the car on the highway headed home, taking with me many new ideas, a stronger forged bond of friendship, a newly painted picture and a bag of fresh strawberries. What a beautiful way to begin Spring Break.

2 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Awww Shirley, what a great way to spend a day with a friend. I like your Camp Jeannette day. Sometimes words aren't needed. Just a hello hug and hey lets do it. I hope you have many more Camp Jeannette days. Happy Easter amiga.

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

Sounds like a great beginning to spring break!