Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Papa's Azaleas

When the time came, seven years ago, for me to move my parents out of their home, I agonized as to what plants I should dig up to bring with me. My father was a dedicated gardener and all of his plants were his prized possessions. His azaleas, however, were the plants he loved the most. And so, it was that I decided to bring at least two or three of his most babied plants to my home here in the country.

Because I had so many things to think about when closing up their home, I was not particular as to how I potted and transported these plants. They had been in the ground for over forty years so their root system was very well established. I guess you could compare their roots to those of my parents and neither the plants nor my parents moved easily.

I planted the azalea bushes in the woods near the little glen where our wild azaleas are planted. We pay very little attention to theses plants because they are away from the main house and we often forget they are there. This winter, though, it rained a lot; more than it has rained in many a winter here in Florida. So when we took our spring walk to see what was budding, we happened upon my father's white, forty-something year old Formosa azalea in full bloom. Were he still alive and in his home, he would be taking me outside, we would be walking around the yard, and he would be pointing out this plant to me as an indication of his skill as a gardener. I am thrilled that it is thriving.

5 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Oh Shirley. I know how you feel. I too have so many of my dad's plants. Olive trees, ivy, fig tree, cactus and the list goes on. I'm so happy for you to be able to see your father's plant coming to bloom for you. You feel it in your heart and want to say to dad or mom, "look, your plants." Aaah, I know the feeling. Take care of them Shirley. Thanks for sharing feelings of the heart. Take care.

elizabethrosasjewelry said...

I never noticed that azalea bush...and I've watered that whole place. I am glad it is happy now.

btw--your photographs look great, I particularly love the propeller. And the banner shot is pretty amazing...looks like Isabella is a natural.

amelia said...

Azaleas are so very beautiful and England, where I grew up have an abundance of them. Unfortunately, where we live now in northern Canada, nothing much can survive the winters except a few hardy species.
I'm sure your dad would be thrilled to see his bushes thriving the way they are!

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

I love the strength of this Azaela

Gallery Tee said...

That is such a wonderful story. I never knew that Mr G. was such a wonderful gardener.I should have asked him questions about my garden.What a wonderful memory to have of your parents. Spring seems to bring out so many beautiful memories. Love you
Tina