Saturday, May 15, 2010

Take A Walk

Come and take a walk with me through the garden gate and into the back garden. I want to show you what's happening back there.
The roses are all in bloom, cream-colored, old fashioned, David Austin roses that I love. This bush has grown very large and wild. I like it that way, untamed, three and four blooms on each branch. I cut it back maybe once a year but otherwise let it do what it wants as it reaches over the garden fence and winds its way down to touch the ground.
And then there are the beans....soon ready for picking. The bean patch is thick with bean plants. I didn't thin them this year; just let them grow together and compete for space. They are slowly climbing the bamboo support poles that share the space with them. I will probably pick a few tomorrow and cook them just to know what they taste like.

5 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Hi Shirley. Gotta love those string beans and I sure do love your weathered gate. I think we have about 25 varieties of the David Austin roses. We take cuttings, re-root them and we have more in pots. I love the scent of all his roses. I love that you grow your own veggies too. I didn't even know you had another blog and I happened upon it and I just love it. I especially love it when Coco does his thing. Strange that I should read his posts because I was thinking of starting a blog about "Chorizo" my family pet member that is now gone. I had started a story about her and she was actually telling the story, I need to look for it. Shirley how many more days till retirement? or are now "retired?" :) I also like the rv you bought and how fun that you will be travelling places. That is so cool. Take care amiga and thanks for the stroll. It was fun.

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

the roses are STUNNING!!!!!
I expect a walk through in person next time I am in town. Cause you will be retired and have time to take me :-)

amelia said...

I want your beans!! They are my favourite veggie but ours didn't do well at all because we just don't have the long summers and when we have a sunny day, we are in so much shade our plants don't see the sun.
Are you retired yet? It's a wonderful thing retirement!! I love it!!

GlorV1 said...

Shirley, does this mean that when you leave to "rv" that you won't be blogging any more??? Oh boy that would be a loss indeed it would be. I hope you can find a place that has hook-ups for the internet. We all would sure miss you and your posts. I read your comment about me starting a blog about Chorizo and I plan on doing that. It will be called
"My Name Is Chorizo." Well at least that's what I'm thinking right now. Take care and have a great Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Those string beans look healthy! Hmmmmm maybe those roses are helping!