Sunday, May 2, 2010

Treasures

These two cards from the wedding of my aunt and uncle are but a few of the treasures I brought home yesterday after spending the day in Tampa with my cousin and favorite aunt. We found ephemera from the births, weddings, anniversaries, and birthdays of many members of our family. I plan to use much of it for my art projects but will also share it on the blog from time to time.
It was so interesting to notice the formality with which each card was signed, even by siblings. But I need to remember that these events took place in the thirties and forties, during a time when formality was the norm and familiarity was unheard of except behind closed doors. I found precious letters written by my mother to her youngest sister on the birth of her first son and Western Union telegrams of congratulations on first anniversaries. Yesterday, I brought home a box of history.

2 comments:

GlorV1 said...

How exciting Shirley! You are very lucky to have brought this treasure back home with you. A lifetime of memories. Have a great week and I look forward to seeing the future pages when you post. Take care.

Karen Valentine said...

Hi Shirley!
I’m so happy you will be joining me for the Where Blogger’s Create party this year!
I think it’s going to be great fun and probably bigger than last year!
Jo is offering some great prizes isn’t she??? I’ll be in touch!!

Karen
My Desert Cottage
Valentine Design