Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Little Cottage on the Cape

The houses on Cape Cod are not all mansions; but this one was, and this is where the conference sessions were held last week. We had our "sessions" in the Mansion, our breakfasts and dinners in the Carriage House, and our lunches on the terrace overlooking the ocean. I felt as though someone had tapped my head with a magic wand and transported me to some place totally out of my own reality. Sometimes I don't know how to behave in places like this. The attire was stated as, "Cape Cod Casual". What does that mean, anyway? I really only just have "Ocala Casual" and so I didn't know what to take as a wardrobe.
I didn't take a bathing suit because I was not going swimming. So, instead, I packed two linen skirts and a couple of blouses. One of the skirts came from a consignment shop but was originally from Talbot's so that kind of fits with Cape Cod Casual. It is a floral print and I call it my Cuban skirt. I didn't call it that in Cape Cod.
I think I actually felt a little bit out of place in Cape Cod. I was the only person there who is retired. And I didn't have any friends with me like everyone else. So I mostly went around by myself except during the cocktail hour and lobster dinner when I mingled with everyone. I think it's important to mingle during a lobster dinner. I met some very nice people but I've already forgotten their names. I'm sure they've forgotten mine as well. I learned a lot about the Continuum of Literacy so I feel up to date on that topic. I just don't know what I'll do with all of this newly found knowledge. I learned that I don't want to spend time on Cape Cod in the summer because it's way too crowded. And I was really glad to get back to my little house in the country. It's wonderful to get away. It always makes me appreciate coming back home.

3 comments:

elizabethrosasjewelry said...

Cape Cod casual? Hilarious. Can you imagine what San Francisco casual might look like? Think gardening clothes.

It's great to be taken out of your element, nothing better for appreciation that a little bit of discomfort. I experienced that A LOT while in Europe and it is great to be home. :-)

amelia said...

What a beautiful place! Cape Cod is on my (never to be realised) wish list of places to visit!!
How nice for you to be able to do these things now. There are some benefits to being retired!

GlorV1 said...

Awesome. My but you are getting around quite a bit lately.
Tee Hee. I think it's great that you are really getting out there in the world and enjoying new things. Have fun, be careful.