Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Expenditure of Time

It has been interesting for the past month, to observe how I spend my time. Time is a funny thing to me because I always have felt the need to conserve it. But that was before; before I retired. Now I find that my attitude has changed and I am spending time rather profligately. I get up when I wake up and I go to sleep when I am tired. I am staying up much later than I ever did although I am still in bed by about eleven. My days don't feel rushed and I linger over my coffee much longer than I used to. If I don't get something done today that was on my list (yes, I still make a list), then I do it then next day or the day after that. Yesterday, I began my day with a Zumba session at the gym. Today, I went to yoga.

I have been lunching with friends and meeting for beer, which I will do again in about an hour this afternoon. I have a schedule but don't always keep it. And I don't feel the need to unless I have a time-bound project, a very rare thing these days. I am spending time doing my art--am almost finished with a mosaic that has really challenged me for the past week. I am making tags. I have had many more Etsy sales than normal but then, I am spending more time with my site than normal.

I go out and work in the yard when the sun decides to hide behind the clouds. When it comes back out, I come back into the house until its next game of hide and seek. Cocoa thinks that I am her permanent lap and that I am staying home for the express purpose of her comfort and pleasure. But that's as it should be for a dog who is such a good dog.

Janet and I are planning next month's Maiden Voyage of the travel trailer. We are excited. I will get to fish. I feel busier than I did when I was working, but in a different way. I have time to think. I don't feel stressed. I don't even know what day school starts. Now, that's something to celebrate!!

1 comment:

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

I love this post. It sounds to me like the beginning of a fabulous book.
perhaps in your spare time you should write it :-)