Thursday, August 11, 2011

It's Happy Hour

It's Happy Hour here on the farm and I am drinking an ice cold beer. An ice cold beer is nice anytime but especially nice on a one hundred degree day, a common occurrence these days. My daughter tells me I am never satisfied with the weather and I guess that's probably true. In the summer, I am too hot; in the winter, I am too cold; in the early spring, I am pretty happy but I am waiting for the hummingbirds; and in the fall...well, the fall may just about be my favorite time.

I read the other day that the month of July is like a weed. This was on a gardening blog that I read frequently. July is like a weed because it's one of those things you can't wait to be rid of and annoys you like the dickens when it's around. I think August is kind of like that too. But if I'm not careful, I'll while away all of the months without really enjoying any of them and that is not a good idea for me. So. for today, what can I like about August?

For today, there are at least ten volunteer blooming zinnias in my garden. They planted themselves from last year's crop. They are beautiful and I had nothing directly to do with it.

For today, the grass is very, very green because we have had rain every day and that's a blessing. For today, the birds are playing in the sprinkler and in the fountain and I love watching them.

For today, I am making chicken palliard for dinner and the chicken breasts are already pounded and in the refrigerator.

For today, I had lunch with my friend Cynthia and her daughter Brooke. Actually, Cynthia is my fourth adopted daughter because she lost her own mother when she was only sixteen.

For today, I had the battery replaced in my favorite watch.

For today, I found out that my favorite jewelry store is buying gold and tomorrow, I will be there with my ziploc bag to see what I can scare up in terms of spare cash.

So August, here we are together. You are not so bad. It's my attitude that needs to remain in check so that I can continue to live in the moment and love the day for what it is.

1 comment:

Connie said...

I love this post. I could easily join the ranks of those who find the weather is too hot, too cold or too wet...never too sunny! I make a point of not complaining about the weather. In the winter it's too easy. That's when I really have to find 'what I like about today'. You did good, today. :)